Why the Great Reputation? Learn About Kale Benefits
Kale’s reputation precedes it – but what are kale benefits, specifically? Learn about the nutritional content of this dark leafy green, and some of our favorite ways to enjoy kale at Nourish Wellness Cafe in Northampton. Visit our cafe to get inspired to use kale creatively in your own cooking!
Kale Yes: Health Benefits of Kale
Did you know that kale is one of the most nutrient-dense foods you can eat? Just a single-cup serving contains over 200% of your daily recommended Vitamin A, 134% Vitamin C, and a whopping 684% of the Vitamin K your body needs! Kale benefits have a lot to do with these vitamins and how they are used in the body.
Why We Need Vitamin A:
- Maintains integrity and function of surface tissues (i.e., the skin, the gut, inner ears, eyes)
- Supports daily replacement of skin cells
- Maintains health of mucous membranes, providing a barrier to infection
- Supports immune system, vision in poor lighting conditions, growth, development, and reproduction
Why We Need Vitamin K:
- Plays a role in blood clotting, bone metabolism, and regulation of blood calcium levels
- Stored in fatty tissue and liver until needed
- May protect against osteoporosis, improve memory and help maintain lower blood pressure
Why We Need Vitamin C:
- Antioxidant—helps protect cells against free radicals
- Plays a role in collagen production
- Improves iron absorption
- May protect against immune system deficiencies, cardiovascular disease, prenatal health problems, eye disease, and skin wrinkling
More Kale Benefits
In addition to the vitamins listed above, kale is loaded with more antioxidants, bile acid sequestrants, cancer-fighting compounds, beta-carotene, calcium, magnesium, and potassium.
Try Kale on a Bowl or in a Smoothie at Nourish! View Menu
Enjoy Kale Benefits Deliciously at Nourish
At our organic, plant based wellness cafe in Northampton, MA, we use kale liberally—and whenever we can, we source our kale from local organic farms. Our local source for kale benefits is Kitchen Garden Farm. At Kitchen Garden, kale is grown with care along side many other varieties of specialty vegetables on 50 acres of organic fields in nearby Sunderland, MA.
You’ll access kale benefits when you try our Buddha Bowl—brown rice topped with massaged kale, avocado, purple cabbage, ginger carrots, pumpkin seeds, pea shoots and your choice of dressing. All our dressings and sauces are made in-house from all organic ingredients! Kale benefits are also plentiful in the Greeny Bowl: brown rice with massaged kale, avocado, pumpkin seeds, sprouts, and our own pesto!
Find kale in our juices—the Go Green and the Feelin’ Alive—and in our Daily Greens smoothie! Can’t get enough of kale benefits? You can add kale to any wellness bowl, salad, smoothie or smoothie bowl at Nourish.
Sources for This Article:
10 Health Benefits of Kale – Healthline
What Is Vitamin A and Why Do We Need It? – NCBI.gov
Health Benefits and Sources of Vitamin K – Medical News Today
Vitamin C – NIH.gov